Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Telemarketers

Everyday it seems I get a call from someone trying to sell me windows and doors. Either the market for windows and doors is very competitive, or it’s just one aggressive guy. I don’t listen long enough to register the company name.
I’m actually thinking of replacing a set of patio doors and a couple of windows this year or next. I mentioned to my family that I’m going to start recording the names of these companies that call, make sure I get the spelling right, and then inform them that I’m planning to buy new windows soon, but not from their company, because I don’t appreciate telemarketers. And I will make sure not to buy from any of those companies.
My kids thought that might be unfair. After all, they said, telemarketing is a legitimate form of advertising. Was I also going to make a list of everyone who tries to sell windows on TV?
I thought about this for a moment, and that’s when I realized why I find telemarketing so offensive, besides the fact they always call during dinner hour, or when I’ve just settled down with a good bock and a nice cup of tea. It’s not even because I can choose whether or not to turn on my radio, or TV, or to buy a magazine or not, or to look a bill board or not, yet I can’t stop my phone from ringing, although these are all strong arguments.
It’s because telemarketing is not a legitimate form of advertising, similar to a TV commercial. I receive free TV shows in exchange for putting up with advertising. Ditto free radio programming. And my magazine subscription prices are greatly reduced due to the sponsors. Even this website is available to me for free because advertisers support it. For all I know, the volume of flyers that passes though my mailbox lowers the cost of stamps for snail mail.
My point is, I benefit from all of the above forms of advertising by receiving free or cost-reduced services. Does my telephone bill go down because telemarketers call me? No. If I start receiving telephone service for free because it’s subsidized by telemarketing, then I’ll quit whining and listen to them. Maybe even buy their products.
How about it, door and window guys, ready to pony up?

No comments: