Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Garden Cats

My cats like to help me garden. They like to roll in the dirt, and dig holes, and add their own brand of fertilizer for me. They appreciate my plants, choosing favourites for shade, or for hairball remedies, or for hiding under. They especially love the fresh catnip. They have their trails to follow through the garden when chasing each other, and me. Raking leaves is always a cause for feline celebration. My cats race and leap for joy whenever I join them in the garden, unless it’s a hot sunny day, when they merely smile and roll over on the deck. It’s as if they’re saying, “How can you design such a beautiful garden and spend so little time in it? You must sit here all day, every day, in order to truly understand its essence.” Perhaps they’re right.

No comments: