Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Cats and the Power of Positive Thinking

My cat Sassafras, who was neutered at five months old but still thinks he's a tom, got into a fight the other day and came home with a torn ear. I decided to keep him in the house for a few days until he healed.
Being a cat, and therefore stubborn, he now spends a lot of time standing in front of the door, waiting for it to open. It’s as though he’s chanting an affirmation in hopes that the door will open if he focuses enough.
My family spent the dinner hour last night laughing at him, and indirectly at the concept that being positive about a goal can make it happen. No amount of “sending it out to the universe” is going to make a door open, we thought.
But then, right after dinner, I wandered into the kitchen, saw the cat by the door, and quite by habit, opened it and let him out. Then I swore as I remembered I wasn’t supposed to do that. Of course, the cat was gone, and I felt the idiot.
Cats catch mice by waiting beside the mouse hole for so long the mouse forgets about their presence and ventures out. Bam! End of mouse. I’d fallen for the same trick.
The episode made me wonder about the concept of positive thinking. Perhaps that’s how it works. However ludicrous the concept may seem, wait by a door long enough, and someone will open it.

No comments: