Sunday, October 21, 2007

Paralyzed Kittens

I foster pregnant cats and their kittens for the local Humane society, which means I provide them with a loving home until the kittens are ready to be adopted. Unfortunately, the kind of owner who neglects to have their animal spayed is also the kind of owner who neglects to get their animal vaccinated, and so often the mothers and kittens are ill.
This was the case with my most recent batch of kittens. (I have fostered 8 families for far). The mother seemed healthy, but apparently she had suffered a case of distemper while she was pregnant with the kittens. One of the five died shortly after birth, and of the remaining four, three were paralyzed and could not walk. Although otherwise healthy, they could not look after themselves, and had to be compassionately euthanized. It was quite heartbreaking for me, as they were so loving and fluffy and adorable. (What kitten isn’t?)I'm not sure what my point is with this tale, other than to share my sadness with you, and to chime in with Bob Barker, “have your cat or dog neutered.” Please!

No comments: